Thursday, May 27, 2010

CHAMPAGNE BUBBLY AND CHAMPAGNE SNOW

ST MORITZ-SWITZERLAND

The temptation to go to St Moritz was great as I was invited to join a small group of travel agents. I had fond memories of Switzerland, having spent many summer holidays there as a child.

But this was a very different trip as I left Chicago on a cold March day on a non-stop flight to Zurich. Having checked my luggage all the way to St Moritz, I enjoyed the freedom of taking the train without my bags.. As expected, the trains were on schedule and comfortable. It took almost 4 hours and fortunately I was able to stay awake and delighted in the scenery, which changed constantly as we climbed up mountains and sped through tunnels. It was a winter wonderland­­­­­––and one of my favorite parts of the trip.

St Moritz likes to call itself the Champagne ski resort. The sun sparkles on the snow shrouded mountains for a good 320 days a year, and lots of bubbly is enjoyed during après-ski. The whole town exudes glamour and glitz.

My first stop was at the GRAND HOTEL KRONENHOF, a gracious and traditional hotel in Pontresina, a charming town 10 minutes away from St Moritz.

As I checked into the Kronenhof, I was directed to my room and instructed to go to the Spa where I enjoyed a relaxing neck and back massage. What a treat after a long journey. The Kronenhof met and exceeded my expectations. My room was a very spacious junior suite overlooking the mountains. I enjoyed the walk in closet with ample storage space and the luxurious bathroom. A fantastic dinner showcasing Switzerland’s magic with service and food ended a very long but unforgettable day.

An overcast sky greeted us the next morning and after a quick breakfast we were fitted with the latest style skis and boots. The slopes were well groomed and fairly empty and we enjoyed a few hours of ski. HOTEL KULM in St Moritz was our next stop. The Kulm Hotel reflects the elegance and style of this ski resort. From the moment I walked in I was surrounded by old world charm. This urban sophistication was worlds away from the relaxed atmosphere of ski lodges in Colorado. My room had a lovely traditional feel, but with every modern comfort. Again the food was outstanding and I was grateful for the daily physical activity, whether cross country or downhill ski.

The most enchanting moment came at the end of my stay as I went up to the top of the mountain by cable car on a cloudless day. At the summit, I enjoyed lunch and a spectacular view of the valleys.

A great finale to a memorable trip.

Francoise Friedman - Travel Consultant

No comments:

Post a Comment